Kids day out in The New England Wireless and Steam MuseumTagged as indoor, education
1300 Frenchtown Road East
About The New England Wireless and Steam Museum
The New England Wireless and Steam Museum consists of five buildings as shown in the image below. The red building on the left houses the wireless collection. The next building to the right is the Massie Wireless System station, "PJ", built in 1907. It is the oldest surviving working wireless station in the world. It was moved to this site from Point Judith, RI in 1982 to avoid demolition. The building in the center houses the stationary steam engine collection. This collection includes the only surviving George H. Corliss engine running under steam today. The next building to the right is the Mayes building named in honor of Mr. and Mrs. Thorn L. Mayes, longtime supporters of the museum. The Mayes building houses the Mechanical Engineering library and the collection of steam engine models. The building at the far right is a meeting house built in 1822. This building was also moved to this site in 1972 to save it from demolition. The meeting house is available for meetings and weddings, etc.